Health and Safety Downloads:
Please enter your email address
will show on screen for download and we will email you a copy.
Give yourself a helping hand...
Trapped fingers, cuts from sharp objects, skin conditions, sprains strains; Handling can cause all sorts of injuries
3 in 10 workplace injuries are caused by poor handling practices, but following these dos and don’ts will help minimise your risk
- Carry out a thorough risk assessment
- Avoid direct handling of sharp edged items
- Remove sharp edges or cover them up
- Use personal protective equipment (PPE) such as thumb guards
- Think wearing gloves will solve the problem. They post a major entanglement risk when using machinery, and can make it difficult to work.
- Use the wrong PPE. Make sure the protective equipment you use on your hands is resistant to any chemicals you are exposed to
- Assume you know the best way to approach handling – get training!