Home Office launch an Employer Toolkit to support EU Workers
Businesses reliant on workers from the EU will be pleased to learn that the Home Office has developed an employer toolkit to help equip employers with the right tools and information to support their EU workers to stay in the country via the EU settlement scheme.
The toolkit contains leaflets, posters and a briefing pack to help employers across the UK communicate clear and consistent messages about the EU Settlement Scheme.
Key points for employers to remember are:
- Everyone has 2 years to change their status from under the EU treaty right, to the UK settlement scheme
- The application process will check three basic principles – identity, UK residence and criminality
- If you have been a resident for under 5 years, you will get a “pre-settled status” and once you have reached the 5 year threshold can apply for “settled status”
- There will be £65 fee to apply and £32.50 for children under 16
- EU treaty rights exist during implementation period which ends in July 2021
- Settlement under the scheme is available to anyone who arrives before 31 December 2020, if they arrive after that they will need to apply for leave to remain under the new UK immigration system
The scheme will open fully by 30 March 2019 and an online application form will consist of three steps:
- 1. Verify proof of identity and nationality by scanning an EU passport or national identity card and uploading a photograph to verify
- Confirm proof of residence in the UK by providing National Insurance number or other suitable documentation
- Complete the criminality check by declaring criminal convictions.
For more information on the scheme, click here.