Facelift access and safety made easy

Call us now on 0844 22 54 360

Facelift 33rd Anniversary

Facelift news by email

Get our latest news stories by email, as soon as they're published.

  Roofer sentenced for health and safety failings

Roofer sentenced for health and safety failings

5 January 2019 Email this article

A self-employed part-time roofer has today been sentenced after both exposing a homeowner to carbon monoxide and putting co-workers at risk while working at height.

Merthyr Tydfil Magistrates’ Court was told how in March 2016, Mr Robert Thompson, who was in control of work to remove a chimney at a house in Llanharan,  put his co-workers at risk of falling from a height liable to cause serious physical harm or death. He also exposed the homeowner, his wife and others who visited the property to carbon monoxide.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found the gas supply to the property was not isolated before or during the day’s work and rubble fell down the chimney damaging and blocking the flue. The investigation also found that no scaffolding or other fall protection was in place to work safely at height.

Robert Thompson of Meadowbank Close, Cwmbach, Aberdare, Mid Glamorgan was found guilty of breaching Section 6 (3) of the Work at Height Regulations and Regulation 8(2) of Gas Safety (Installation & Use) 1998 and was sentenced to 16 weeks in prison suspended for 12 months, plus 180 hours community work. Mr Thompson was also ordered to pay £1,000 in costs.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Simon Breen commented: “Persons carrying out building work, particularly on chimneys, must make sure that they do not block or obstruct an air supply vent or flue and risk the lives of those in the property. They also need to take suitable precautions to prevent workers falling and suffering serious injuries”.